Last Saturday I had this idea pop into my head--make them an I-Spy quilt before they leave. I started organizing the fabric and had another idea pop in--why not include some photos of her family friends and other neighbors. After a trip to the local craft store I had this in my hands and started downloading and printing pictures.
Starting Monday I started sewing, after preschool graduation on Tuesday I had most of the blocks put together. Wednesday the quilt top was done. Thursday I spent most of the day bent over the machine quilting. I finished the binding right before a meeting I needed to attend at 7pm. After the meeting I ran the quilt over to her and wish that I had a picture of her reaction.
This was definitely a labor of love--but worth it all. We will miss our neighbors, but know they will be loving the new house and lush green forests in Oregon.
Same measurements as my previous I-Spy Quilt
The squares in the middles are the same fabric as the binding. My hubby thinks the squares should be centered in the middle.
Here's a close-up of the pictures in the middle of a block
I loved this quilt. My only complaint was that as I was pinning the layers together my kids decided it was a great place to play tag--after I quilted it I realized that there was a lot of puckering on the back--hopefully they won't be looking at the back too much.