12.06.2012

Adventure Advent

I've had this idea for several years, but didn't pull it off until this year.  I love advent calendars, they help the kiddos visualize exactly how many days are left until the big day.  I wanted to have something to open for each day.  I thought about having a treat for each day, but didn't like the idea of promoting sugar everyday.  

Each envelope contains an "Adventure" for the day.
1.        Make a Paper Chain
2.    Watch the 1st Presidency Devotional & Eat Cookies
3.    Make a handprint Christmas tree
4.     Watch Rudolph
5.    Make a gift for your teachers
6.   Make a toy donation pile & donate
7.    Write a Letter to Santa
8.    Watch Arthur Christmas
9.   Drive around & Look at Christmas Lights
10. Family Game Night
11.     Make Snowflakes
12.  Decorate Cookies & Doorbell Ditch
13.   Watch Frosty the Snowman
14.   Watch The Grinch
15.   Make goodies & Deliver to Friends & Family
16. Act out the Nativity
17. Build Gingerbread Houses
19. Make a Reindeer Family
20. Make a Gift for your friend
21. Have a Christmas Concert
22. Wrap Presents
23. Make Presents for Jesus
24. Watch Joy To The World
25. Write Thank You Notes

When planning out the activities I coordinated them with certain dates.  On Sunday's I tried to keep the activities simple.  Mondays are family centered.  On days that I knew would be more hectic I planned movies.  I also tried to make the activities more Christ centered the closer to Christmas we get. 
 I used my old school Sizzix to cut out the numbers
 Then laminated all 25 circles so the numbers would stay on.
I originally had the envelopes hanging on my pantry door--that lasted one day before it fell off.  Now the ribbon is strung across the bay window in the breakfast nook.  I post some of the adventures we have throughout the month.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

I love this! I've been wanting to make an advent calendar too. I like the activities you chose, especially "write thank you notes" on Christmas. :)

Karen said...

You are amazing! We are going to do several of these things with our grandkiddos here in Utah :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...