1.06.2011

Target Dishtowels to Toddler Skirts

I've been going to Target every day this week watching for the toys to go on super clearance.  Most of the Thomas train things are already 50% off--so my little boys birthday is all bought and his birthday isn't until the end of the year!  
I start my shopping trips a the front section--the dollar bins.  Usually I find a toy or two to entertain my munchkins until we get to the toy section.  This time I found these towels and knew exactly what I wanted to do with them...
Aren't they cute?  I love how the heart towels have a fun trim on the bottom.  I bought three packs on the spot, which was a good thing.  When I went back last night all the towels were gone.
By sewing the three heart towels together it made enough fabric for a gathered skirt.  I cut the material in half to make two skirts.  This one needed extra length so I added a pleated 4 inch strip with fuzzy white ric-rac trim.
This skirt is so fun with the extra ruffle on the bottom.
 Because this half of the towel already had the fun trim I just finished off the top edge and added the elastic.
What do you think?  Isn't it perfect for valentine's day?

From this...

To these...


3 towels cut in half= $1.87 per skirt.
Not too shabby!

18 comments:

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

Absolutely beautiful!!! I wish we had Target in these parts.

nest full of eggs said...

super cute heart skirt, what a deal & so clever !

Anonymous said...

Love this! What a great and easy project...must go to Target like right now ;)

Andrea @ TheTrainToCrazy.com said...

Such sweet skirts. And a price I love!

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

what a great idea! i love the ricrac!

http://inthehammockvintage.blogspot.com

The Savvy Moms Guide said...

This is ADORABLE and super Savvy. Planning on sharing it with our followers today at The Savvy Moms Guide. Smiles~

http://www.facebook.com/TheSavvyMomsGuide

Unknown said...

These are so. stinkin. cute! What a clever idea. Love the fuzzy ric-rack!
I featured this on my FB page:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Madigan-Made/112546038809375

Crafts a la Mode said...

This is cuter than some Valentine fabrics. Bravo!

Jayna Rae said...

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Joanna - these are simply adorable. What a clever idea using towels...too sweet! Thanks for linking to the Sunday Showcase - I'll be featuring this today. Hope you have a fabulous week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

Brooke Douglass said...

I love it sooo much! Brooke
brookedouglass@yahoo.com
Girl Boy Girl Inspired

nicolette {momnivores dilemma} said...

You're being featured today at Creative Juice! I will never look at towels the same...

:)

Christina said...

Awesome! Awesome, I absolutely LOVE!

Marzipan said...

What a great idea! Would you mind if I made a video tutorial of this project? I would link back to you as the original creator.

madebymarzipan@gmail.com

www.madebymarzipan.com

Ingrid said...

i love this idea! i went to target and bought 2 packs of these towels and made a skirt for a a friend's daughter, thanks for such a fun and thrifty idea! too bad i only have a son, or i would have made one for us!

Katie Brady said...

YOu're kidding! that is darling!

Ellie said...

What a cute skirt! This was a great idea.

Angie Holden said...

Amazing!!! What a great idea! Thanks for auditioning for OMTWI!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...