1.12.2011

Snowflake Wreath & Tutorial

I still have my ornament wreath on my door--now that is January 12th I thought it time to take it down.  For the last few days I have been mulling different ideas around.  There have been several tutorial around the blog-o-sphere about borax crystals.  After some trial and error I came up with this wreath.
First I wrapped the straw wreath with some leftover white sheet from this project.
 Then I made the snowflakes to sit in a borax bath overnight.
To make a snowflake...
 1. Cut pipe-cleaners in half.
2. Stack three together like this...
3. Wrap one around the other two like this...
4.  Cut left over halves in half again.

5.  Take one 1/4 of the pipe cleaner and wrap once around end of each leg.
6.  Some instructions say to put the snowflake in a mason jar.  My snowflakes are too big, so I used a 9x13 glass pan.  Pour the borax mixture until it covers the snowflakes.  I used a 1:3 Borax to water ratio to make my mix.  There was a little too much borax because the crystals formed in less than an hour.
Once the snowflakes are set and dry I hot glued them on to the wreath form.

On the bottom center I made two smaller snowflakes and glued them on top of each other.

4 comments:

LP aka A Crafty Southern Chick said...

This is very pretty! I've never seen the borax crystal things before :) Very cool!

http://beadsbuttonsbubbles.blogspot.com/

nicolette {momnivores dilemma} said...

I've seen the epsom and not borax...

Bookmarking this for next winter...

{I do snowflakes for all my Xmas decor}...

Would this work on wood?

Thanks for linking to Creative Juice Thursday!

Crystal said...

cute and simple! LOVE it!

Karen said...

Can we make this when I come to your house?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...