5.01.2015

Mother, May I...Diaper Bag



When I had my first child, nine years ago, my husband was just finishing school and we were heading back home to live by family.  We were looking at a huge amount of student loans and the housing market was out of control expensive.  Needless to say we didn't have a lot of money to buy what we wanted for our new baby.  Instead I tried to find the best deal on what we could afford.  Which sounds great and all-but now that I look back on a few purchases I wish I would have worried more about the quality not so much the price tag.

With my first child I bought a cute diaper bag at Target-and Eddie Bauer tan bag (the hubs didn't want anything too cutsie just incase he had to walk around with it)  Guess what? The bag didn't even last 6 months. I guess I didn't realize how much I would be using it.  Then when the second child came I bought a HUGE bag. The bag was great and I still have it, it's so big that it hurt my shoulders and back to carry it and a child. We still use it when we go on road trips-but we usually don't carry it around with us.

After talking to other mom's and seeing what they carry I have found two diaper bags that I would have loved. (I have links to Amazon-they are not affiliated links)
1. The Skip Hop bag-this bag is great and a great price.  Here's why I like it:
  • Straps convert into stroller straps. You can change the straps to two separate small straps and hook them on to the handle of your stroller. It keeps your bag in sight and in reaching distance.
  • Pockets! Lots of pockets in all different sizes
  • Short handles and one long strap. I don't like bags with two long straps-I've spilled lots of things thinking that I had my bag only to find out I have one of the two handles as everything spills out.
  • Material-the material is sturdy and well constructed
  • Price-this bag is about $60-I'm sure you could find a coupon at Babies-R-Us to get it cheaper-I've spent more on four different diaper bags-like I said up top..quality over price.

2. The Ju-Ju-Be Diaper Bag. I LOVE this bag-wish I had it. Here's why it's awesome:
  • Fabric: The outside is Teflon treated-hello spilled milk or projectile spit-up. Your diaper bag doesn't have to look like the front of your shirt.
  • Mommy pocket: What, you don't want your toddler asking to open a tampon thinking it's a popsicle?!? 
  • The top zips shut: This helps keep little hands out and the important stuff in.
  • Straps: These are why I love this bag. The straps can clip on to different hooks around the bag to make it into a shoulder bag or a BACKPACK! I know you can just have a backpack as a diaper bag-but most backpacks are seriously lacking in pockets and are way too deep to keep organized for me. I can't count how many times I needed both of my hands free to grab two screaming kids-or when I've bent over to tend to a child and they get smacked by the diaper bag as it slides off my shoulder.

    • Price: this is the hard part to swallow...$165. Need I say more about that?
    Those of you just beginning your motherhood journey, good luck! Hope you enjoy the rest of my Mother, May I...series.

    1 comment:

    Karen said...

    Fun to read your discoveries.

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...