So as I was making my works-in-progress list this dress was on it. When I pulled it out to finish the smocking and realized that all I had to do was finish embroidering the little leaves around the flowers I was mad. It took me 1/2 and hour and then I was on to cutting out the pattern.
Smocking is not hard--if you can stitch a straight line and love to make adorable dresses you should give it a try. I have a pleating machine, but I did not use it on this dress--plaids make it really easy to pleat your own material.
I used different pieces from different patterns; one from McCalls (from the 80's), another from simplicity, and the collar from Butterick. The front of the bodice took a little time to get it just right. I had my little princess try it on every step of the way to make sure the armholes and neck were just right. I believe every dress needs a bow in the back--it really helps to make it fit perfectly, and it looks cute.
I promised her jelly beans if she would go outside in the almost snowy wind to take a few pictures (she is shivering here and moaning about the cold) She tells me that she loves her dress--and is so excited to have an Easter dress.