6.23.2011

4th of July Skirt

 Last year for the 4th of July I made this ruffle dress.  This year I wanted something a little more casual. Last month while visiting family in Utah I went to the Fabric Center and bought some large red, white & blue ric-rac.
 At Walmart I picked up this tiered skirt
The best part is that it was only $3
I measured out how much ric-rac I would need and finished off the ends.  I pinned the ric-rac so that I could sew a straight line and catch the skirt.
The ends aren't perfect, it really doesn't show when it's done.
I made sure to put the white in the middle layer so it would show.  To prevent bleeding I washed and dried the red and blue ric-rac before sewing.
Doesn't it look patriotic?
 I'm sure you could make one of these skirts out of an old t-shirt too.  It's fun and festive.

15 comments:

Jenn said...

Great idea. I love this skirt!

Kyla Armstrong said...

I love this!!!! Where in UT did you get the giant ric rac?

jbr said...

Ric Rac Found at the Fabric Center at 9135 Redwood Road

Mindie Hilton said...

I have played with ric rac for flower making. This is just adorable.

I am just reminding everyone about tonights link party that runs Friday evening through Mondays!
I also have an ongoing give away link party now too.
Hope to see you soon.
http://bacontimewiththehungryhypo.blogspot.com/
come strut your stuff

AsylumTanya said...

Oh my! This is so cute! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

This is so cute...and so inexpensive. I think that even a non sewer like me could make it!

Brit said...

I totally adore this!! I want to make one for my daughter and me ;) Is that weird? LOL We are having a link up party tomorrow and we would love to have you join us!! Hope to see you there.
Britney
www.jandmseyecandy.blogspot.com

Ami Allison said...

This is SO CUTE!! I would LOVE to make this for my girl! :)

SarahPyrah said...

love this one! good job :)

annies home said...

really super cute and perfect for summer time in July

Crafty Brooklyn Army Wife said...

I love the transformation of this skirt!! Great job!! Stopping by from The Train to Crazy linky party.

Here is what I shared this week: http://craftybrooklynarmywife.blogspot.com/2011/06/summer-pillows.html

AmyH said...

Darling! I'm featuring you tomorrow at naptimecrafters.blogspot.com

Kristine@thefoleyfam said...

How fun!! You can't go wrong with ric rac.... and BIG ric rac! Even better :)

Thank you for linking up to "Strut Your Stuff Sundays" on our blog!! We appreciate!! We will be featuring this post on our blog tomorrow! Feel free to grab a button! Thanks again for sharing!

Kristine
www.jandmseyecandy.blogspot.com

Lindy@Itsy Bitsy Paper said...

Thank you so much for linking up to my Red, White and Blue Linky Party!

www.itsybitsypaperblog.com

Ash said...

This is the best idea ever! Love semi-homemade fast projects!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...