8.04.2011

Pin-It Up Thursday=Ruffle Dress

I'd like to start something new here at the Project Corner.  First let me explain something, Pinterest seems to be the current buzz word of the blogosphere.  I love it because:
1. Eye candy
2. I feel organized
3. Great ideas with included links

It's like starring all your favorite posts in Google reader, but having them organized into folders with an instant visual reminder of what you have in that folder.  And when you pin something it usually has the link to the original source-so you can get the tutorial or any other information.  My only complaint is that swear words pop up on pins-and I wish I could filter those out.
So on to my "something new."  I've seen several Pinterest Challenges and will probably participate in some, but I wanted to start to share projects that I have pinned and redone in my own way.   This may be weekly or monthly or bi-monthly-but it will be posted only on Thursdays.  So for my first
Pin-It Up Thursday project:

Inspiration~
 My SIL has a dress similar to this, she wore it to church while visiting us last Sunday.  I analyzed the dress and Monday afternoon this image popped up on Pinterest.  I really wanted to sew this dress in a linen or cotton, but I didn't have any of that on hand and didn't have the funds to get more material.  I found some grey waffle knit in my stash and used the Coffee Date dress pattern.

My Version~
 Ruffles, sleeves and length.

Here's what I did...

 Made a V-neck and wider shoulders (so the sleeves would look better)
 Wider shoulders on the back too, the rest is the same.
 I matched the v-neck and shoulder width for the facings.
Cut sleeves-I made up my own pattern for this, and 2 inch strips of fabric for the ruffles.
I sewed the top and tried it on and adjusted the darts to be a little more fitted (not too fitted because it is a knit)
Each ruffle is one long piece of fabric.  I started on the left outside ruffle and pinned it one inch away from the center and neckline.  The second ruffle is 1/2 inch from center.  The third ruffle was stitched differently, almost backwards, then flipped over and top-stitched for a finished look.  Once the ruffles were on I added the sleeves.
The sleeves were finished off with a ruffle and shirred to give it more shape.
The front and back skirt are pleated in the middle.  
 The hem is zig-zagged in contrasting yellow for more ruffle.
Here is the dress completed.  I tried putting a grey sash on, but it just wasn't working.  I grabbed the sash from this project and it made the dress come to life.
It is a comfy fun dress.
 I still might figure out a different belt-but it definitely needs one.
 The ruffles on the neckline are subtle and feminine.
 
What do you think?  I'm anxious to try this in a cotton or linen to the ruffles would be bigger like the inspiration dress-but this dress is a keeper for sure.

19 comments:

Mom2fur said...

Oh, my gosh, it's beautiful! And it looks so flattering on you. Great job!

Lindsay said...

Great job on the dress and I love the pop of yellow with the belt! I need to check out Pinterest, too!

Amanda @ The Little Giggler said...

Beautiful dress! I love the gray and yellow!

Fonda @Southern Scraps said...

Great job with that dress! I love the yellow and gray combination.

Tasha Anderson said...

LOVE THE COLOR COMBO!!! Hmmm should I pin this on my "Gray Area" Pinterest board or my " Mellow Yellow"? Okay both! Thanks for sharing the fun at Pinkalicious Thursday!
XOXO,
Tasha
www.frugaliciousme.com

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

I.LOVE.THIS.DRESS! Well done--I could never in a million years come up with my own pattern. Great job!

Bless by Tone said...

wow - you did a really great job on this!!! So beautiful. Tone

Honey I'm Home Blog said...

I can't decide which is more beautiful - you or the dress! You look so adorable in it! Thanks for sharing your talent. I'd love for my readers to see it if you want to stop by & link it to my party:

http://michellelunt.blogspot.com/2011/08/fabulous-friday-linky-party-6.html

Warmly, MIchelle

Unknown said...

Very cute! I love the ruffles!

Anonymous said...

Very cute! Love the ruffles :)

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...

This post made me smile. Thanks for inspiring me and many others to even attempt this feat. Really appreciate that you linked up at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop.

Ginger@gingersnapcrafts.com said...

Love, love the ruffles. Amazing dress. Thanks so much for sharing. Would love to have you link this up to my {wow me} wednesday link party going on right now over on my blog. Hope to see you there. {I’m a new follower, too.} Cute blog!

Ginger
gingersnapcrafts.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I have been wanting a dress like this for ever!! You did just a great job. I love the belt with it. But I almost always love gray and yellow together.

Tanya Anurag said...

You MADE that :O :O
OMG.. you are super talented!! Love how the dress looks.

I am hosting my first link-up party - Tea Time Thursdays @Kreative Korner. Would love to see some of your awesome posts there. Hope to see you!

http://tanyaanurag.blogspot.com/2011/08/celebrating-one-party-time.html

Tasha Anderson said...

Hey Joanna,
Your dress was the most viewed link last week at Pinkalicious Thursday and I featured it today on my blog!
Hope you will stop by and play again!
XOXO,
Tasha

Erin of HomeSavvyAtoZ.com said...

Cute dress! I am so impressed! I found your site at a blog party and would love for you to link up at my Savvy HomeMade blog party at http://www.homesavvyatoz.com/2011/08/14/blog-party-3/

I look forward to blogging with you!

Ginger@gingersnapcrafts.com said...

Featuring YOU over on my blog today. :) Feel free to drop by & grab a button. Thank you so much for linking up to my {wow me} wednesday link party last week. :)

Ginger

Lindsay said...

Wow, this a gorgeous dress! I am so impressed that you made this! Great job!

I would love to have you link this up to my first link party!

http://southernlovely.blogspot.com/2011/08/show-share-1.html

Seaweed and Raine said...

I am so drawn to the colours you have used... and I love the ruffles. I'm not sure I could wear them - Wish I could though (without looking like Dolly P!).
Love the dress you pinned too... would you share the link for it? :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...