Remember today is the last day to Vote for round #2
Thank you to all who voted last week for this lovely dress...
It really was a fun dress to make. Do you want to know how I did it?
Here's the original from Modcloth...
this is the biggest picture I could get :o)
Now for my version...
-Length (a dress or skirt should be at least knee length-have you tried to pick up a running toddler with a short dress on in public?)
-Neck-who wants to be tugging up their dress all night?
-Sleeves-From the beginning I wanted this dress to have sleeves, it took me several hours of cutting out different types and researching what would look the best with the dress---I'll explain why I choose the sleeves I did later
-Back Zipper-who really likes zippers on the side? I know it makes the dress look great, but it makes you feel like you have to know advanced yoga to get out of the dress-so I moved it to the back.
Now on to the dress. The original is still not available-the problem with that is that they don't have a fabric description yet. Thank goodness for the magnification feature, I tried to pick a fabric that had a similar drape and look to it.
I ended up picking a satin crepe, one side is satin the other side crepe. The black lace wasn't too hard to find. I wanted lace with a bit more empty space-but couldn't find or justify spending an insane amount of money for the lace.
I found Simplicity Pattern 4070 to have the most features that matched what I was looking for.
I sewed the bodice and linings following most of the instructions-not sewing the lining at the sleeves (something you don't do when the dress has sleeves)
After the bodice was complete I sewed the skirt to the bodice. But first I added all the pleats.
I printed out several pictures of the dress from different angles to try and match the placement of the lace.